Whether you suffer from mild depression or major depression, there are always ways of treating depression naturally. If your depression is mild, you may be able to control it fully with natural methods. However, if it is more severe, then you may have to take prescription medications, but some natural methods may also be able to be incorporated into your treatment plan.
So what are some natural methods of controlling your depression?
Exercise has so many benefits. It can keep you physically fit, increase your energy levels, and keep you active when you do not particularly feel like doing anything. In addition, exercise has many positive effects on your mental health. This is because when you exercise, it causes feel-good hormones (known as endorphins) to be released.
Diet alone cannot treat your depression. However, choosing the right kinds of foods can ensure you are supplying your body with maximum levels of nutrition for it to operate at its best.
Some suggested foods include:
* Antioxidant-rich fruits and vegetables – Try to eat a variety of colors of fruits and vegetables each day, as this provides you with a wide range of antioxidants.
* Healthy and high-fiber carbohydrates – Avoid the kinds of carbohydrates found in sugary pop, for example. However, high-fiber cereals and high-fiber breads are healthier choices of carbohydrates.
* Proteins – You can get protein by eating yogurt, cheese, fish, lean meats, chicken, and milk.
* Foods rich in Omega 3′s fatty acids – Depression is much less common in cultures that eat diets high in omega 3′s. This is because your brain is composed of fatty acids. Unfortunately, many people in North America do not eat adequate levels of omega 3′s. To get these needed fatty acids, you can eat fatty fish, flaxseed, walnuts, or take a quality, fish-oil supplement. Before using any supplements, you should always check with your physician and/or pharmacist first.
3. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
The premise of this therapy is to change your way of thinking. This form of therapy is based on the belief that what you think also affects your mood and behavior. Therefore, you need to learn how to turn negative thoughts into positive thoughts and actions.
In summary, depression can keep you from enjoying life. Fortunately, there are ways to treat this mental health disorder. Above, three ways of dealing with depression naturally have been outlined, and can be incorporated into an overall treatment plan to bring relief from the sadness and despair felt by sufferers.